We’ve witnessed the thrills and spills of many family holidays and here’s our thoughts on what really makes a really successful family holiday and guarantees that everyone goes home happy and relaxed with memories that last a lifetime…
- Get out there! Choose somewhere totally different from home – invigorate their senses, and give them a whole other perspective ie. Get away from cars, signs, traffic lights, shops, houses and head to the beach, the bush, the mountains, the snow, an island.…somewhere different.
- Zone out! Get them out of their comfort zone by doing things you don’t normally do ie. Learn to surf; Stand up paddling; cooking class; boating, crabbing; shell hunting, kite flying, jetskiing, fishing, star gazing, elephant riding, mountain climbing, parasailing, enjoy a massage or special treatment.
- Lighten up! Take very little…just the basics. Definitely no technical gadgets, no ipods, iphones, ipads, gaming devices etc and turn the phone off. Check it once a day if you have to, then switch it off. This is time to be fully present.
- Tempt the tastebuds: Food memories are often ones that stay with us ever – bringing back that holiday feeling for years to come. Use the opportunity to get them out of their normal eating routines and challenge them to try some of the local cuisine. Freshen up their tastebuds with the local seafood, tropical fruit, desserts, fresh coconut..it’s part of the experience.
- Move it! Burn up some energy and tire them out with a little exercise. Early morning dip and a surf, bushwalk, mountain climb or sunset beach walk will usually do the trick.
- Slow it down! Every day needs some quiet ‘me’ time for everybody. Give everyone some space to do their own thing in peace.
- Have fun! It’s a holiday after all so it’s a great excuse to do fun stuff and laugh at each other and at yourselves ie. Belly dancing!
- Chill out! Well, that’s a given.
Best wishes a wonderful family holiday.